Please be advised that the Department of Health Professions (DHP) has been made aware that some licensees have received fraudulent communications from individuals claiming to be from one of our licensing boards, such as the Board of Dentistry, or another agency, such as the DEA. The communications, often by phone, may threaten arrest or license suspension, demand personal information, or require the payment of fines. Please note:
- Phone calls may “spoof” DHP or a Board and appear to be from our number;
- If you need to verify the identity of a DHP investigator or inspector, call (804) 367-4691 or email email@example.com;
- DHP will never demand that you provide personally identifying information, such as social security number, date of birth, bank or credit card account numbers over the phone;
- These types of licensing scams are a problem nationwide.
If you believe you are the recipient of a fraudulent communication claiming to be from DHP:
- Notify DHP at 804-367-4691, or email firstname.lastname@example.org;
- Report the communication to local law enforcement or the Virginia State Police;
- The Federal Trade Commission also accepts reports about “Imposter Scams” through the FTC Complaint Assistant, or at 1-877-382-4357. These reports are used to aid ongoing investigations.
The Drug Enforcement Administration also has warned of imposters posing as DEA agents. Information and reporting of these scams can be found at this DEA website. Please contact the Board directly at 804-367-4538 or email@example.com with any concerns.